View My Stats

Thursday 19 December 2013

House detox

Image via Tumblr


Am I the only one who's really conscious about chemicals and radiation in the house?  We surround ourselves with so many pollutants and toxic chemicals.  And what about all the beeping devices?  Chargers and computers and phones.  We often have 3-4 laptops and 4 phones between 2 people?  Wow.  I don't use a microwave.  I don't charge my phone where I sleep.  I don't use electric blankets or baby monitors.  I have started to use cloth nappies part time now and swear by cleaning the baby with a wash cloth and water.  She's not THAT dirty is she?  I try to do one or two thorough cleans with the chemically stuff during the year and in between that maintain it with natural products.  If you clean regularly you don't need antibacterial wipes and bleach do you?  Use up the products that you have and perhaps reconsider.

My favourite things to start with


  • Microfibre cloths are magic.  For dusting and especially cleaning the bathroom and kitchen.  I even exfoliate my face with a microfibre face washer.  I mop the floor is water and a microfibre cloth.
  • Plastic containers?  Nope.  I try and store everything in glass containers.  Can easily recycle old jars as well.  
  • Vinegar and baking soda.  And a bit of lemon.  Pretty good cleaner.

There's less than a week to go until holidays.  There's still too much to do.  But I'm getting there.  Slowly.  Slowly.

3 comments:

  1. I'm the same with all the cleaning products, man of house on the other hand thinks mopping the floor with ammonia is a good thing. He is nuts! Lucky he isn't the one who mops the floor. I've only just discovered microfibre cloths, it's the only thing that will keep my splashback streak free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore Method for a bit safer feeling clean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Radiation, I'm not worried about because my husband works in telco and has all his rad/haz training, so I know there's no need to be concerned with household devices. Chemicals, absolutely! We use hot water and white vinegar and a bit of tea tree oil to clean - only place I use any chemicals is in the toilets.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment.