View My Stats

Sunday 11 March 2012

”Fashion is the armour to survive the reality of everyday life. I don't think you could do away with it. It would be like doing away with civilization.”- Bill Cunningham



How true is that quote?  How powerful can an outfit, or a killer pair of shoes make you feel?  How many times has a certain look helped me feel like I know when I'm talking when presenting something that I KNOW I'm out of my depth with.

If you haven't seen this documentary yet, do yourself a favour and find a way to watch it.  I'd been meaning to see it for months, but something always got in the way.  When I got wind of the fact that it was screening for one final week at Palace, I switched around my diary and unplugged and saw it one late Monday afternoon.  Blackberry was off, iPhone was on flight mode and I sat in a cinema at 3pm on a weekday.  Totally indulgent but I'm so glad that I did.  The world didn't combust without me.

Bill is such a simple individual, who up until recently lived in one tiny room at Carnegie Hall, sleeping on a mattress that sat on crates.  And his infamous blue jacket is a jacket that Paris street sweepers wear, which he wore to receive his French Legion of Honour award.  This documentary will make you laugh and cry and humble you enormously.




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for reminding me about this - definitely want to see it... Have a happy day off tomorrow! X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment.