View My Stats

Sunday 18 April 2010

Masterpieces from Paris - an amazing day!

Perfect day, immersed in some of word's best artwork.

4.47am - the alarm woke me and I wasn't in the mood, I didn't have the best night's sleep, but an exciting day awaited me.  I had been intending to see this exhibit for a few months and the day was finally here!

5.33am - leave for the airport

6.55am - reach the airport, join the express lane and check in.   Flying with Tiger when on a tight, 10 hour schedule was always a risk, but it paid off and there was no hassles

7.10am - departed Melbourne for Canberra

8am - touch down in Canberra, walking off the plane and I realise I've left my prescription glasses on board!  An art exhibit whilst practically blind?  IMPOSSIBLE

9am - finally get my glasses from the ground staff

9.15am - pick up my hire car and head off to breakfast

9.30am - breakfast is at Silo Bakery a highly recommended spot in Canberra's Kingston




These tarts are honestly amazing!

The weather in Canberra was terrific, a warm mid 20's with autumn colours of brown and red visible in the trees




10am - headed to the National Gallery of Australia for the exhibit.  Lines were minimal due to timed entry, so spent half an hour checking out the rest of the exhibit before entering Masterpieces at 11am.  I spent a mesmerizing 2 hours with Van Gogh, Gauguin, Cezanne, Cross, Monet, Picasso, Rousseau, Sargent, Seguin, Sisley and co.  Musee d'Orsay is being renovated and these exquisite pieces are touring the world.  Thus far, it has been the most visited paid exhibit Australia has ever had.  Starry Night's was spectacular.  To see the brush strokes and the signature is something a picture will never afford you.  The audio only added to it and was a wonder compliment to the exhibit.

1.10pm - walk out in a haze of wonderment with a heavy book in hand, as well as a post card and the ubiquitous fridge magnet that B and I collect from each place we visit.  


1.30pm - go on a quick drive around Canberra's sites.  My sister in law was my co traveller this time around and she hadn't been to Canberra in over 10 years.  Even though Canberra is the nation's capital, it is not the most exciting, or photogenic place.


That's me at Parliament House (wearing black tights, American Apparel tee, black Zac Posen for Target blazer, my SG eiffel tower brooch [it was the Paris exhibit afterall!!])


View from Parliament House to Old Parliament House







More autumn colours

2.10pm - quick drive around Parliament Circle to check out some of the embassies.  


South Africa is counting down to the World Cup - aren't we all?

2.30pm - onto the Hyatt for Afternoon Tea.  They called me in the morning saying there was a cancellation!





Wedding in the court yad







Bubbly!


Mini scones, creme, creme caramel... banana mousse...


The Tea Rooms

4.15pm - Departed for the airport, dropped off car and home time.

Hope you've all had a lovely weekend too!  x


8 comments:

  1. I went at the start of the year, isn't it fabulous! I was in love the second I walked in the doors haha. Looks like you had a wonderful time :)
    http://mypeachprincess.blogspot.com
    Love,
    xx. Peach Princess ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a fabulous day!! your photos are fantastic! :)
    vicki xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really loved the photos:)

    Waiting for your Monday post:)

    SP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had an amazing time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so jealous! Next time, take me with!! As for the breakfast you had, looks so yummy! Tell me, what is the second picture of? It's making me drool big time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. gosh how amazing is the blue sky and the colour of the leaves?
    beautiful!!
    looks like you had a perfect day!
    lucky u got your glasses back too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These pictures are amazing. That's for recounting your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jen, that in fact is an eggs florentine, but with no hollandaise sauce, as their sauce chef was away!!

    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment.